Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review: Edie Kiglatuk's Christmas by M.J. McGrath

Genre:
Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Penguin Books

Release Date:
October 2013



 
Book Blurb:

The shortest day of the year didn’t count for much up on Ellesmere Island. By the time 21 December arrived, the sun hadn’t come up for two months and it would be another two before it managed to scramble over the High Arctic horizon. Objects, animals and even people could disappear during the Great Dark without anyone much noticing. Which was why no one reported Tommy Qataq missing . . . Christmas is fast approaching on Ellesmere Island, in the vast frozen landscape of the High Arctic, and half Inuit ex polar bear hunter Edie Kiglatuk is drawn into a mystery when a young man dies in suspicious circumstances. A stunning short mystery with a magical and heart-wrenching twist, Edie Kiglatuk's Christmas is from the CWA Dagger Award nominated author of White Heat and The Boy In the Snow and will be enjoyed by fans of Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow by Peter Hoeg and Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series.


My Review:

I’ve never read anything by this author before, but this was a very intriguing book. First, the author transports you right to the scene. I felt like I was actually in that cold climate. Her descriptive writing was well crafted. It’s a nice Christmas read with a touch of mystical aspects which makes it perfect for this time of year.

Beware, this is a very short book and can be easily read in one sitting. It’s only 66 pages. That was my main problem with the book, I wanted more! Of course that’s not necessarily a problem, the author left me wanting more and that can be a very good thing.

I would like to read the first book in the series, The Boy in the Snow. Edie Kiglatuk is an interesting character who I’d love to get to know better.

I’m looking forward to reading more books by this author.




FTC Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a copy of this book through NetGalley to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.